Friday, April 17, 2009

DC can dance!

Evidently DC folks can dance and move. Since moving here nearly four years ago, I have always wondered what it was about DC that kept people's feet planted and arms crossed at shows. Like the Rapture points out in this here song, 'people dont dance not more.' But DC proved me wrong last night at the 930 club, when the Ratatat came on stage.

As was the case with Modest Mouse, I was rather disapointed with the opener I caught, and took refuge in the back bar. I mentioned to my compadre at the show that my 'band' back in college was of similar quality and far more fun. Our deconstructions of sound and life would make your ears bleed with joy.

Moving on, Ratatat's set was quite good, and I must reinforce that they moved more people to dance that I have ever seen in DC, which I find to be remarkable. I think their unique blend of house and rock is just the right mix to get lots of people into it. Even the folks in the balconies were shakin' it.

I have to say that what does it for me is more the guitars than the thumping beats and awesome wacky samples. I am aware that describing a guitar as 'wailing' is about as over used as Jenna Jameson's nether regions (zing!) but it really seems to be the most apt description. The crowd exploded when the guitars cut in in MIrando (video below, about 1:10 in). It really was intense and it doesn't come accross that way in the video. Neither do the scathing solos or the intensity in their live show. It's easy to see why they sold out the show.

Their sound is just so overwhelming. I don't know how the few people that werent moving werent. I wanted to ask a girl a few feet to my left if she was ok. They also incorporate and amazing amount of sound into their stuff. They're the only guys I know of using harpsichord in music that would not be foreign to a dance club. I think that is what really sets them apart. There's a lot of creativity in what they do. They draw on a boatload of influences to make the music that they do, they play the shit out of it, and they back it with and incredible show.

These guys top the Black Keys and Dan Auerbach with their lighting, which is not an easy thing to do, and match the Flaming Lips in the kick ass, off the wall, visuals to go with their show. From enourmous birds to nose-less faces mouthing the effects to old home movies of folks playing at the beach, theyve got some tripped out video going. This should give you some idea of the visual onslaught that accompanies the amazing wall of sound that is their live show.

Don't hesitate to see these guys live, and pick up an album. I find it to be great driving music, but is just as at home at your next party. And theres a depth that you can explore at home that just isnt accessable at a live gig.

Theres a video with this over here.

No comments: