Thursday, April 16, 2009

dirtbags in yuppie-ville

I have to toot my own horn here a bit, as it seems that the Felice Brothers show was off the radar for most folks in the area. Had I know I would have posted to let the reader know.

Samantha Crain & The Midnight Shivers opened up for the boys from New York. A couple of things struck me about the ensemble. First, Samantha Crain sounds uncannily like one Leslie Feist, the Canadian songstress of Broken Social Scene fame. On a couple of tracks, you could have sworn it was Feist singing, just with a bit more of an upbeat and more pronounce backing band. However, Crain set herself apart with more up tempo tracks and less melancholy in the music. All things said, it was rather enjoyable. However, it was tough for me to shake that eerie similarity and that kind of overshadowed the set. Also, the Midnight Shivers looked like brothers, with their indie kid mullets and western shirts. I can't fault them too much for that.

If your not in the know, the Felice Brothers play a unique flavor of folk music twinged with rock and blues. Its the northern version of bluegrass, but swap the banjo for an accordion. Its got a similar feel, but a different sound.

The crowd at the Birchmere would be generously described as such. I figured that they would have filled the place near capacity, but evidently my perception of their popularity was a bit off. However, my expectations on their performance were met and exceeded. They played the favorites like Frakie's Gun and Love Me Tenderly. They played some songs I was not familiar with off of their newer release, Yonder is the Clock, which were very nice.

The guys called themselves dirt-bags a couple of times, and it seems that the best music comes from the ridiculously well trained over achievers like Andrew Bird or Rufus Wainwright, or filthy, chain-smoking, hard drinking, dirt-bags. I enjoy both. The Felice Brothers waste not time or energy on appearances or perceptions and let their music win you over. From Ian's Dylan-esque warble and immaculate finger picking, to James' virtuoso accordion solos, and Greg Farley's washboard antics, you wont see many bands that have more fun than these dudes do.

They also happen to fall into that lovely category of artists whose albums can't touch the performances. Of course they sound good, but the energy, the smoke, the cursing, and especially the way that songs evolve with the evening. I think the fellas knew that they were among friends and had some fun with their music, which is as it should be.

Some Final thoughts: I was quite happy that they wasted little time in getting to my favorite, Whiskey in My Whiskey. If you know me, this should come as little surprise. If you don't know me, this song speaks my language. I also thought that the Birchmere was a good, if an odd venue. It rubbed me a bit wrong that the they have a mural outside showing 'The Great American Music Cities' that fails to note Detroit. Just because Detroit is, well, crap now, don't discount what it has contributed to music over the years. I think Motown is enough, not to mention the non-freaky MJ (that happened after he moved to LA) and the White Stripes, The MC5, Iggy and the Stooges, Bob Seger, and the Motor City Mad Man, Ted Nugent. Also, the waiter kept tapping me on the shoulder to settle my tab in the middle of the performance, which made me quite irate.

So, Sam Crain, really good, oddly like Feist. Felice Brothers were great, full of energy and whiskey, it seemed, but on point. The venue odd, but good, and a few minor improvements would make it grand, though it is a bit off the beaten track.

also, ive started posting stuff over on the examiner. i plan to post most reviews and such here, but over there youll get the same and some random videos and shorter posts.

No comments: